Thursday, October 20, 2016

Week 10 - Autumn in Pennsylvania

Hey guys here's my slightly uneventful week๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚ but I'm still gonna tell you about all of it, haha

The drive from Hershey to Lebanon PA. Beautiful Autumn colors! 
Monday- So Monday we went to a cornmaze and farmers market with a bunch of members from the ward so that was fun! Then we went shopping and went to dinner with another member family to this Wing place that was super good๐Ÿ˜ After that we just walked around downtown for a sec and handed out some Book of Mormons.

3 Gourds for $1.00!
Tuesday- On Tuesday we started the day teaching Carlos(Spanish) and I spoke quite a bit! Then we visited a semi less-active lady who talked for an hour and a half about her life and problems. I was trying so hard to pay attention and listen but I was so bored, I don't think I've ever been that bored in my life.๐Ÿ˜… We were in her backyard while we visited her and I was just starring at the grass and I swear I could see it growing. Occasionally I would nod my head and say uh huh like I knew what she was talking about. She was a very humble lady with a strong testimony though, it's hard to see good hearted people with hard lives. After that we went to our Ward Mission leader's house(the jockey๐Ÿ‡) to make some flyers for the church's ESL Class (English as a second language) so I rode around on his hover board talking to him about
Jockey races while my companion translated the whole thing to Spanish๐Ÿ˜‚ Then we went to the Boggs house for dinner which was delicious. After that we visited another old African American lady named EJ who is so funny and we talked to her for almost an hour and a half. She has a
really strong testimony as well, she just has a lot on her plate because ladies like her get everything dumped on them.

The outside of their Mansion Apartment (as named by Carter)
Wednesday- We started off the day with a couple insignificant visits to less actives then we went and visited our nursing home crew. We visited Sister Bord who really likes me its funny hahaha. She is one of the ladies in the nursing home(the one who never knows what page we are on) and I walked in and threw her curtain(wall) to the side while I chewed on my nugget ice, that I always get from the lounge, and I stared at her for a sec and she just looked at me and rolled her eyes and said "sit down”๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. She's pretty funny and she always tells me that my iPad case is too dirty even though it's not. I always feel the spirit super strongly when we teach her though and I can't figure out why but our lesson/message was good! Then that night we went to an older members home for dinner then we came home and did language study and I finished Duolingo!

Thursday- On Thursday we had to drive to Harrisburg for interviews and district meeting with our mission president. It went good! It was a few hours but it was a good training. Once we got back we didn't have a ton of time so we went and visited the puzzle ladies! This time they gave me a 24-Piece puzzle and told me it was a little bit more on my skill level๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ˜‚. They roast me all the time idk why I keep visiting them hahaha. After that we visited another less active then we went to dinner at the Fischer's house! They always spoil us with good food and we left a good spiritual/dinner thought with them. Then we went and visited the Thomas family with Brother Sorenson and it was a super good lesson! We just need them to come to church. Brother Thomas some how brought up trump and was talking about how he's such a good guy and would make a good president and we were just like yeahhhh I guess lol everyone here somehow brings up politics in the middle of every lesson and I'm not sure how ha they are good at it though.

Friday- Friday was another pointless service day with Brother Alva. He came and picked us up that morning and we went to his house and he tried to figure what was wrong with a car for 3 hours while we just handed him tools and hunted rats again.๐Ÿ€ After several trips to the auto parts stores and 4 hours of doing less than nothing, he never did find out what was wrong with the car so we went home๐Ÿ˜‚ it's okay though because no one ever talks or meets with us before noon anyways so it's not a complete waste of time. That afternoon we went and taught Modesto(Spanish) which I loved. We taught about the Plan of Salvation and committed him to pray about baptism. I love speaking Spanish there but they speak some terrible Spanish and Spanglish sometimes hahaha! When we got there he said "¡Yo leรญ mi pamfelto!" (I read my pamphlet) And I was like "¿ te significa tu folleto?" (You mean your pamphlet?) because pamfleto is a completely made up word๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ it's like when people just add the letter "o" onto the end of whatever they are saying and call it Spanish hahaha except thats what Puerto Rican's do sometimes ๐Ÿ™† then later in the lesson Modesto was talking about something and he didn't know the word in Spanish so he said it in English and the word was successful, and I was like ”¿exitoso?" which is successful in Spanish and he was like yeah that๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ it was just funny because it was so backwards like I knew the word in Spanish that he only knew in English and usually it's the other way around hahaha Then that night we went to the ward party which was a chili cook off๐Ÿ˜‹ but none of the chilis were better than Dad's๐Ÿ’

What weekly planning actually looks like
Saturday- On Saturday we got picked up at 6 AM to go help with a yard sale in the ward and it was definitely more pointless service. We were at the house for 6 hours and hardly anyone came and bought stuff. I think my companion and I moved one couch and 3 boxes the entire time we were there. I think people tell us they have service then they just come and get us to keep them company and they know we can't leave because we don't have a car๐Ÿ˜‚ But it was a relaxing morning, I just played with all the various toys and gadgets in the yard sale and had
middle aged Mormon mom conversations with the ladies there about Diet Coke and what not. After that we got lunch at another pizza place haha then we walked all over the city. We decided not to use our bikes so that we could talk to people but we probably walked 6 or 7 miles and found 2 more people who want their records removed. ๐Ÿ™ƒ I don't think people really understand what that means, it doesn't mean the missionaries stop bothering you, it means that God stops bothering you. ๐Ÿ˜‚ We also found a couple potential investigators and visited another less active who can't come to church so it all worked out. That night the moon was HUGE!! It was the biggest thing I've ever seen, it was like a tortilla was just floating in the sky๐ŸŒ. I guess it was a super moon.

Missionary Seek and Find
Can you find: the corner of an Oreo package, a picture of Jesus,
an open Sour Patch bag, hand gel that substitutes for hand washing,
random papers from the last transfer... and two darling bachelors. 
Sunday- Sunday was similar to most days, we woke up and had our meeting but Ward council didn't get enough done so the bishop called for a follow up Ward council later that evening. I'm sure you can guess how thrilled the Ward council members were. Then we went to church which was good because more and more less actives are coming! After church we had dunch with the Nelson family๐Ÿ˜‚ yeah they have the same last name. And the mom's name is Kristen!!¡¡ hahaha so I had dinner with Kristen Nelson, unfortunately not mom๐Ÿ˜”. She was actually really cool though, mom you'd be proud to share a name with her. After that we visited a less active and a potential investigator both of which went well. Then we went back to follow-up Ward council. Now this was one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen ๐Ÿ˜ฌ Nobody was on the same page, nobody wanted to be there, everyone was arguing, one guy got up and left half way through. It was so funny though. At some point the bishop was arguing with the ward mission leader and the bishop called my companion out like he was a witness to prove the bishops point regarding this certain topic. I was like this is not a court case??๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Then they tried setting goals and this other guy threw a fit because half of the ward goals were completely unattainable haha it was a mess. Then after the meeting this guy in a loud voice said,   "That was awesome!! I love meeting where we get absolutely nothing done! Let's do that again next week!! Yeah!!" ๐Ÿ˜… so that's how we spent the rest of our evening.

Letters from my home ward Primary children. Thank you!!
Other things-
1.) I'm able to recognize the spirit more and more in lessons which is cool, I just hate when my voice gets shaky hahaha

2.) Several of the men in the ward here are executives for Hershey. So they have a bunch of new candies that Hershey is testing out and they give them to us to try๐Ÿ˜‚ Take-5 Mix is super good as well as Crunch-layer cookie bar๐Ÿซ (they are going to come up with a better name) and then Reece's With Pieces hit the shelves this last month and that one is really good๐Ÿ˜ so go look for it at the store.

3.) I have not actually gained 20 pounds like I joked... ๐Ÿ˜‚I've gained like maybe 10 and I really don't know where it's going๐Ÿ˜… abs are still in tact, upper body is all good, pants all still fit the same lol maybe it's leg muscle from bikin๐Ÿšด so that's a mystery I’m trying to figure out.

Anyways I hope you guys all had a good week!! I didn't get really any emails until yesterday from you guys so all week I was like well I hope they're alive๐Ÿ˜‚ all the people that email me were in one cabin together with no service ๐Ÿ™ƒ and my friends wait until today at noon to send theirs๐Ÿ˜‚so I will go back and respond to the ones I did get!!

Love and miss you guys❤️


-Elder Nelson





No comments:

Post a Comment