Monday, November 21, 2016

Week 13 - Halloween and Service

I picked a turkey for my weekly emoji because it's November already! It was kind of hard week because we felt super unproductive but it wasn't really our fault. People have started to break the news to me that Lebanon is a really hard area. I guess President has sent a lot of his best missionaries here without much luck. The members of the ward are aware of it too. The ward is really strong but when it comes to finding investigators, there hasn't been a lot of success. We were getting a ride home from a member last night and he was asking us about our week and we told him that it was a little slow and that we were bummed about it and he was like "yeah quite honestly this area is really rough, we haven't had a convert baptism in quite a while." ๐Ÿ˜… Then my companion told me that he hasn't had this struggle in any of his other areas. So everyone was hiding the truth from me all along but I refuse to accept it. There's no way that there are no potential investigators here so I guess we just have to keep trying. However, my companion and I are killing the rest of the zone when it comes to Less Active lessons taught because we do so much reactivation. Most of the companionships get between 10-15 lessons a month and we got 29 this last month. So at least we have that going for us hahaha sorry for this rant, here is my week----

Weekly planning -- it's serious business
Monday- Monday was Halloween and we didn't really do anything. No one in the mission had any miles to come and get us because it was the last day of the month so we just stayed here. We went shopping for a little bit around town at some thrift shops and stuff and then we went to dinner with some members. We got wings with them which are always good๐Ÿ˜‹ that night I slept terrible and I have no idea why, I felt sick all night and I woke up super confused about where I was and I had like 4 bad dreams ha it was bad. So those types of nights are never fun.

Tuesday- Tuesday actually was pretty good despite my rough night haha. We had district meeting in the morning then we taught Modesto and his friend Jose in the afternoon. We taught them about the Word of Wisdom and they both accepted it and said they would live it! Modesto can't really break it because of his current health conditions but Jose is going to work on his coffee consumption!๐Ÿ˜‚ Being from Puerto Rico, drinking was a big part of their life when they were younger but they don't do it anymore so that made the lesson easier. Modesto and Jose have been friends since they were 17 and Jose takes care of Modesto every day and takes him to all of his doctors appointments and everything. If that's not real friendship then I don't know what is. After that we visited Sister Bord and that was good as well! She always appreciates our visits. I showed her my new iPad case because she would always give me crap about my old one because it was dirty and I didn't clean it and she just gave me more crap for my new one!๐Ÿ˜‚ She was like "you can't just buy a new one because you don't want to clean the old one! Are you gonna do the same thing with your wife when she's old? Huh? Are you just gonna buy yourself a new woman?"๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ she always gives me a hard time and teases me but I tease her too so it's okay haha. She told me that I always make her day whenever we come so that made me feel good๐Ÿ˜Œ That night we had to ride our bikes to the ESL class again at the church and whenever we have to do that we made it a tradition that we go to dinner afterwards. So we went to dinner at this little Sports Grill and bar downtown because they had a sandwich special with the World Series and it was really good๐Ÿ˜ and we got to watch a little bit of the game and they had some basketball games on too so it all worked out.

Wednesday- Todo Servicio. Wednesday was all service, we woke up and helped Brother Alva for a few hours around his yard and house. Then we went and helped the Hernandez family put up cement posts in their yard for the rest of the day. My back was done after that, working with cement is absolutely terrible. I got to introduced to some new Spanish though! Like some new words that have to do with construction, yards, tools etc. so that was good. Then we had dinner with them and it was finally some authentic homemade Mexican food๐Ÿ˜‹ it was really good. It was good to spend time with Brother Hernandez because he has been less active for several years, the rest of the family goes but he doesn't. We are helping them again next week as well. That night we walked around downtown and tried to talk to people without a ton of luck. 

Thursday- On Thursday we visited Lloyd and gave him a small lesson, we still aren't sure how to help him. He's an obese, single, endowed, inactive, lonely man who can't work because he's physically unable. He's stays home, watches movies and eats. How do we help him? He knows the church is true and occasionally he attends church but he just doesn't have much hope for himself. ๐Ÿ˜• It's really sad. After that we visited the Puzzle Ladies, even the non-member ladies get excited when we come now๐Ÿ˜‚ they all give us snacks and stuff and ask us questions it's funny. That night one of our important teaching appointments canceled on us ๐Ÿ™„It was the Thomas family.  We had been planning for it all week so that really bummed us out. We decided to just go walk the streets and we found one guy from Puerto Rice sitting on his porch and we started talking to him and he seemed interested in us and luckily I had a Spanish Book of Mormon in my bag so I gave that to him and we got his number so hopefully we can set something up with him! 

Local graffiti 
Friday- On Friday we started the day trying to teach Carlos but it didn't work. We haven't been able to get in contact with him much since the whole marriage counseling thing. I think he might be embarrassed about that whole situation and maybe he thinks that learning about the church isn't helping him as much as he thought it would regarding his relationship. Idk. But it's kind of a difficult situation for us because he was one of our only investigators๐Ÿ™ After that we got picked up to go help our Elders Quorum President with some service and it felt like a complete waste of time๐Ÿ˜… he's a really slowwww worker. It took us 3 hours to get 2 pieces of dry wall on the ceiling. We were really frustrated, an active member of the ward does not need that much of the missionaries time to help him with a job that can be done by one person. Anywaysss that night we had dinner with some members then walked around downtown trying to talk to people without any luck.

Saturday- Mas servicio. On Friday we went back to Brother Alvas and it was actually good for him. We cut his dogs hair, power washed his driveway, organized his shed etc. Then he took us out to Lunch and I got a Reuben sandwich and it was amazing๐Ÿ˜‹ haha then we visited Modesto again and read with him in the Book of Mormon. He mentioned that he feels really bad about how he was when we was a kid because they were raised on the streets in Puerto Rico and got with a bunch of girls and other stuff like that. Then in English he was like, "And I know you guys aren't like that, well.....maybe Nelson is" HAHAHA it was pretty funny ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ we were all laughing. I swear all the people we teach tease me all the time lol but I dish it back out so it's all good. Jose was wearing a USC jacket and I told him that my dad went to that school and he was like "¿Inserio? ¿Su papa fue a este escuela? (Your dad went to this school?) and I said yes then he said yeah I went to the University of Southern Catholics too๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ haha I was like yeah that's not what that jacket is but sure! It was funny because it was clearly a University of Southern California jacket with a Trojan head and everything hahaha ohhh Puerto Ricans. After Modesto we went to the Boyd's house for dinner and games and that was a party as always. They are so good to us and WE ARE GOING TO PHILADELPHIA WITH THEM ON THE 19TH!! We are gonna go to the temple and go to the Rocky statue and liberty bell and everything. I'm super excited๐Ÿ˜‹ 

Life is Sweet when you are serving the Lord!! 
Sunday- Sunday we had church and Ward council and some other meetings then we visited Sister Bord again. She was confused because we had just seen us a few days before but she needs the visits. We shared a story with her and helped her organize her room a little bit. She asked us if she gave us something last time, and I said "No, the only thing you gave me was a hard time for my new case." Then she started laughing๐Ÿ˜‚ I like making her laugh because it just looks like her smile is stuck in place lol. After that we visited Anil at DQ as always. We had a good little lesson with him then we biked back home. Biking while fasting is awful, just throwin that out there. Then we went to the Franklins house for dinner and a game. They made breakfast burritos and cinnamon rolls so that was a good way to break our fast๐Ÿ˜ then we played a game with them. Their sons love me, they kept taking my name tag off and putting it on and they kept trying to take off my tie haha on the drive home Brother Franklin said "you must have brothers at home huh?" I was like yeah๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ and they are 3 years apart too just like Spencer and Bryce. Then last night we had weekly Planning.


Scripture of the week: 2 Nephi 12:13 - All things point that God is real⭐️ 


Other cool thing- Elder Stevenson from the quorum of the 12 Apostles is coming to speak to our mission this Saturday! So that should be cool๐Ÿ˜‹



Alright that's my week! I will go respond to your other emails throughout the day❤️ Love and miss you guys tons ๐Ÿ’•



No comments:

Post a Comment