Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Week 21 - It's just cold

Hey guys here's my week! Nothing crazy though. 

Monday- Monday was good! We woke up and went to crossfit as usual but the sisters were sick so it was just us and the Boyd's. Sister Boyd let me create the W.O.D so that was kinda cool because it was all the workouts I chose and wanted to do. After that we studied and then took the car to Harrisburg because the sisters just wanted to stay home. So we played basketball and hung out with the other Elders and all that fun stuff. That night we went to dinner at a members house which was fun except that they didn't have the USC-Penn State game playing dang it. I was kinda bummed because I wanted to watch a little bit of that one and I heard it was a really good game. But we did have a pool tournament and I won๐Ÿ˜ 

Tuesday- Tuesday was absolutely freezing and raining all day and three of our appointments in the morning fell through. So we walked a few miles in the freezing rain and had nothing to show for it except having soaking wet shoes. You can't talk to people on the street either because your scarf is wrapped around your face and their face is tucked in their coat so it's not like you can hear each other. Everyone is just trying to get to where it's warm, they don't want to listen to you try and talk to them. So Tuesday is the type of day where you question why you're a missionary๐Ÿ˜… Luckily later in the afternoon we were able to team up with a member and see a couple less actives so it wasn't all bad. That night we had dinner at the Fischer's house which is always fun so the night turned out alright๐Ÿ’

Wednesday- On Wednesday we had District Meeting and I was given kind of a boring topic to teach on but I tried to make it interesting and everyone participated and paid attention and they said they liked it! So it ended up being good๐Ÿ˜‹ after the lesson we played a game where someone would read the characteristics of a Book of Mormon character and then everyone else had to try and guess who it was and if you were the first then you got to keep the card! Well I won ๐Ÿ˜ I'm pretty good when it comes to the Book of Mormon but if you had asked me about any of the characters in a different book I would've failed lol. After district meeting we went and did puzzles. The ladies there are really starting to like us hahaha. We tried leaving like 3 different times and they kept stopping us ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. One of the ladies was talking to me and she said "How old are you?" I was like "You don't want to know how old I am" haha they ask me every time and then I say 18 and they all just about faint or have a heart attack like I was born last year lol. Anyways then that lady starting talking to me about her grandchildren(of course) and she said "I have a grand daughter the same age and she is one gorgeous thing, tall, skinny, perfect skin etc... you'd like her! A handsome boy like yourself, yeah you'd like her" hahaha I was just like "yeah I'm sure I would but we really gotta get going" ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. Those puzzle ladies kill me every time. After that we went and visited Sister Bord and a couple other less actives and then the Brother Boyd came and picked us up last minute to have dinner at their house because we didn't have a meal๐Ÿ’ so we ate with the Boyd’s which was a party as usual and then after that we went to Book of Mormon class and then we went home. 

Thursday- On Thursday we had a lesson with Modesto in the morning which went really well and then we invited him to come to church even if it was just for an hour and he said he would go! So we found him a ride and got it all worked out. I told him if we went then I'd bear my testimony. After that we went and taught Anil at Dairy Queen and helped him set some goals for the new year. Then we went to teach Robert! Every time we visit Robert, he expects me to have candy for him, he absolutely loves jolly ranchers and I haven't let him down yet๐Ÿ˜‚ He gets so happy when we come because he loves the scriptures and he loves jolly ranchers so it works well for him for sure when we do both. After that we had dinner at the Bogg's house and then we went and tried to talk to people on the street without too much success. 

Cold service day
Friday- Friday was service day as always. We went and helped Brother Alva do all sorts of stuff. We started by shoveling and blowing his neighborhoods snow and then we fixed a couple snow blowers (I'm a professional at that now) and then we cleaned up his new garage a little bit and did other things here and there and then we went to a Mexican restaurant for dinner (completely decent) and then we went home๐Ÿ’ 

Saturday- Saturday was okay, we had a few less active lessons in the morning and then we went through a bunch of old names in the area book to try a few of the former investigators and we didn't have any luck. So we went home for a little bit to warm up so we weekly planned while we did that and then we went back out to try and find some more people in the area book and still didn't have any luck๐Ÿ™‍♂️ however, I called one lady in there and she actually answered! And she said she's interested so we are going to set up an appointment with her for this week! So that’s good. We were also able to hand out a few Book of Mormons and talk to a few people on the street so it wasn't all bad but it was a ton of walking. After the long day we went out to eat at one of the sports bars and caught the end of the raiders//Texans game๐Ÿ˜‹ 

Sunday- Sunday was kind of a bummer because half way through Ward council, the people that were going to give Modesto a ride texted us and said they were sick๐Ÿ˜… so none of them made it out. But 3 of our less actives were at church! So that was good! One of them(kind of a sketchy guy) asked me if she should go bear his testimony and I was like sure just go say what you know so he went up there and said something like "ya I have been a member for awhile and I hold the Melchizedek priesthood believe it or not so I'm pretty high up there in the religion" I just stuck my face in my hands.... The people you teach in the mission are kinda like your kids, so when they do something stupid it's totally on you๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. For example: A couple weeks ago after church one of our less actives and one of the sisters investigators were hanging out and we couldn't find both of them and then we found them outside and they were smoking a cigarette together in the church parking lot¿? I was like you idiots what are you doing! I felt like a terrible parent, so we don't let our kids play with the sisters kids anymore because they aren't a good influence on each other. We grounded both of them and they are doing much better now. Anyways, church was good. Brother Boyd taught 3rd hour and it was kinda funny because he had a PowerPoint to go along with his lesson so we were all excited and then he said “Yeah believe it or not I actually got this PowerPoint from the RLDS website"๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ hahahaha it was pretty funny. After church we went to our (early) dinner appointment because it was fast Sunday so the families usually have us over right after church which is awesome. Then after that we visited a couple people with the sisters and then we came home and did some studies๐Ÿ™† That's pretty much it for this week. 
Cold Lebanon streets

Other thing- It was absolutely freezing this week!!! Like holy moly, the weather is like 18 degrees and then there's a -1 degree windchill and then on top of that the humidity is like 80% so I've been absolutely freezing. But, ya know, it's all good❄️ 

I turn 19 this week! That's pretty crazy!! I love and miss you guys tons!!๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’•


-Elder Nelson





No comments:

Post a Comment